Sunday, April 22, 2012

Finally...


I have some news.

No, not the news our respective mothers have been praying for ever since D and I started "living in sin".

I found the first stalks of asparagus at the farmer's market this week! (If I were the type of person to put more than one exclamation point in a sentence, this is the time when I would do so.

It's really spring.



Check out this Greenmaket haul! Ramps, spinach, apples, eggs, onions, tortillas, shiitake and cremini mushrooms, asparagus, and no-spray, hot-house grown tomatoes and cucumbers.

This is what I made with them last night:


Basically, I took these Asparagus and Avocado Tartines from Heidi Swanson and added my own little twist.

Good Food had a segment on roasted veggies yesterday, so I decided rather than lightly pan-cooking the asparagus I would roast it. I added some mushrooms to my roasting pan. When the veggies were tender and beginning to brown, I removed them from the oven, placed them on top of toasted, homemade sourdough that's been spread with mashed avocado and sprinkled everything with slivered ramp leaves. Spinach salad on the side. Everything on that plate is local and in season. Except for the avocado. Sometimes we just need to keep our food miles low so we can eat the occasional avocado in the Northeast....

Back later this week with ramp butter and another delicious recipe with roasted asparagus (the recipe I had actually planned to make last night, but then realized I was too lazy for such things).

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...