Saturday, January 28, 2012

Celery Root and Lentil Salad with Hazelnuts


So, as you may have guessed, I've been busy. A new semester has started and I'm teaching a class. This is the second time around, so it's not too bad, but there's been a lot of prep work happening. The good news is that I plan to take a stroll down to the campus coffee shop with Kate every Thursday so we can get some tea and chat. But it's a lot of work. On top of my real work.

I've also been knitting like crazy (a French press cozy, fingerless gloves for D, a blanket, and swatches for my first sweater) and reading on my new e-reader (a "not-Christmas" present from D) and cooking all sorts of delicious things that I just haven't taken pictures of, including individual frittatas in a cute 8" cast iron pan I just got. I've got a sourdough starter flourishing on my counter. Some Meyer lemons brining on the kitchen table. My culinary adventures have been many, albeit undocumented.

I made this dish...oh...two weeks ago. I actually wish I had gotten more celery root in this distribution so I could make more. It's delicious. It's simple. It's good warm or cold (note the photo is of the salad in a tupperware container on the way to work with me). I had it with some olives and homemade pita bread.

My problem with winter food is that generally I cook things that are cheesy and heavy. Oh so comforting and warm, but ugh...I go to bed feeling like I've swallowed a bowling ball. This dish is exactly the opposite of my go-to winter food. Light, cheeseless, filling (but not overly so). In short, perfect.

I made several changes to this recipe. I didn't have any mint on hand, so I used cilantro. Also, I didn't feel like investing $15 in a bottle of hazelnut oil, so I just did all olive oil. If you have some lying around, the recipe calls for 4 T olive oil and 3 T hazelnut oil. I ended up using 4 T olive oil and then drizzling a bit more on before serving.


Celery Root and Lentil Salad with Hazelnuts
Adapted from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi


1 c Puy (green) lentils
3 c water
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 lb celeriac (celery root), peeled, halved and thinly sliced
4 T olive oil (plus more to serve)
3 T red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 T chopped cilantro
1/3 c whole hazelnuts, toasted and chopped

Place the lentils, water, bay leaf, and thyme in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are just tender. Drain.

While the lentils are cooking, bring another pot of water to a boil. Add the celeriac and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Drain.

Toss the hot lentils with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Add the celeriac and toss again. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Toss with the cilantro and hazelnuts. You may choose to drizzle with more oil before serving.

Serves 4


Pin It


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They're why the spring semester is amazing!

      Delete
  2. I am on a diet right now so this salad is an ideal meal for me! It looks delicious! You have a very beautiful collection of recipes here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...